Winning photos of the 2016 Pumpkin Contest:
Title: Retour au bercail
Artist: Anick LaNeuville
People’s choice – Family
Title: La maison féérique
Artist: Anne Lassonde
People’s choice – Group:
Title: Mme sorcière Toucan
Artists: Groupe des 4-5 ans, CPE L’île aux trésors
From October 15 to 31, the Marie-Uguay Library is organizing a pumpkin contest.
Orange, green, striped, pitted, big, small, elongated, flattened… Have fun exploring the amazing gourd family by taking part in the pumpkin decorating contest. Transform your pumpkin into a witch, a funny character or an animal… let your imagine run wild!
Bring your masterpiece to the Marie-Uguay Library (1300 Don-Quichotte Boulevard) between October 22 and 27 during the library’s regular hours of operation. The pumpkins will be displayed in the library’s curio cabinet until October 31.
Library visitors will be invited to vote for their favourite pumpkin between October 29 and 31. The winners will be announced on November 1.
- Judges’ prize for best-decorated pumpkin: $75 gift certificate
- People’s choice (voting by the public): $50 gift certificate.
GROUP category (for example organizations, schools or day care centres)
- A prize for participation is drawn randomly from the names of all participants: one prize of a $100 gift certificate.
- The prize will be given to the group and not to individual group members.
- A class or day care group may enter up to four pumpkins.
The main component of the work must be a pumpkin or squash.
- Each participant may enter only once in the FAMILY category and four times in the GROUP category.
- The pumpkins MUST NOT HAVE HOLES CUT IN THEM OR BE EMPTIED.
- The work, including the pumpkin and decorations, must be no larger than 30 cm × 30 cm × 30 cm.
- The pumpkins and the objects and materials used as decorations will not be returned during or after the exhibit.
- The organizers reserve the right to withdraw an entry if the pumpkin has deteriorated while on display.
- Objects, paper or any kind of material may be pinned or glued to the pumpkin. You may also draw, paint or put clothes on the pumpkin.
- No electrical display will be accepted.
- Pumpkins become the property of the Municipality, which may use them at its discretion, without compensation or credit.
- Participants have until October 27 at 4 p.m. to submit their pumpkin.
- All FAMILY participants must be residents of Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot; GROUP participants must be from an establishment in Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot or one of the three schools recognized by the Municipality.
- Once the exhibit has ended, the pumpkins will be composted
Tips for preserving your pumpkin
- Choose a firm pumpkin with a solidly attached stem and skin that is free of cuts and scratches.
- Before decorating the pumpkin, wash it with clear water.
- Store the pumpkin in a cool, dry, well ventilated place and keep it from freezing.
- Use acrylic paint to paint the pumpkin.
- Use a glue gun and straight needles to attach objects to the pumpkin.